Tuesday, March 27, 2018

The Easter Guest

 The Easter Guest 
by Mary Lowe Dickinson

I Knew Thou wert coming, O Lord Divine, 
I felt in the sunlight a softened shine,
And a murmur of welcome I thought I heard,
In the ripple of brooks and the chirp of bird;
And the bursting buds and the springing grass
Seemed to be waiting to see Thee pass;
And the sky, and the sea, and the throbbing sod
Pulsed and thrilled to the touch of God.

I knew Thou wert coming, O Love Divine,
To gather the world's heart up to Thine;
I knew the bonds of the rock-hewn grave
Were riven, that living Thy life might save.
But blind and wayward I could not see
Thou wert coming to dwell with nie^ e'en me ;
And my heart o'erburdened with care and sin.
Had no fair chambers to take Thee in :

Not one clean spot for Thy foot to tread,
Not one pure pillow to rest Thy head;
There was nothing to offer, no bread, no wine, 
No oil of joy in this heart of mine;
And yet the light of Thy kingly face
Illumed for Thyself a small dark place,
And I crept to the spot by Thy smile made sweet,
And the tears came ready to wash Thy feet.

Now let me come nearer, O Lord Divine,
Make in my soul for Thyself a shrine;
Cleanse, till the desolate place shall be
Fit for a dwelling, dear Lord, for Thee.
Rear, if Thou wilt, a throne in my breast,
Reign, I will worship and serve my guest.
While Thou art in me - and in Thee I abide -
No end can come to the Easter-tide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. All comments are moderated.